Latest NewsSaturday, July 06, 2013 | 11:03 AM
DUBAI, UAE (CMC) – West Indies captain Dwayne Bravo will miss Sunday’s crucial match in the Celkon Mobile Cup tri-nation One Day International (ODI) series against Sri Lanka in Port of Spain following his suspension for one match after his team was fined for an over-rate offence during Friday’s match against India.The West Indies team was ruled to be one over short of its target at the end of the match when time allowances were taken into consideration.In a statement on Saturday the International Cricket Council (ICC) said that this is the regional side’s second offence within 12 months after being fined for a slow over-rate in Cardiff against South Africa last month during the ICC Champions Trophy Tournament.Match referee Jeff Crowe has imposed a 20 per cent fine on Bravo while each of his players will be fined 10 per cent of their match fees.The offence is contrary to Article 2.5.1 of the ICC Code of Conduct for Players and Player Support Personnel, which relates to over-rate offences, according to the ICC.“The captains were informed of their respective positions relating to over-rate breaches before the start of the series. On Friday, the umpires had kept Dwayne informed throughout the innings about the position regarding over-rates, and more so when his side fell behind,” said Crowe.The Trinidadian pleaded guilty to the charge and the subsequent penalties were accepted by both Bravo and the West Indies, so as such there was no need for a formal hearing.The charge was laid by on-field umpires Nigel Llong and Peter Nero, as well as third umpire Nigel Duguid and fourth umpire Joel Wilson.West Indies suffered a 102-run defeat to India in the fourth match of the Tri-nation ODI series in Port-of-Spain on Friday. They will play Sri Lanka in a must win encounter at the same venue on Sunday.Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/jamaicaobserverFollow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/JamaicaObserver
1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.
2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
5. Please don’t use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:mailto:email@example.com.
6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bravo replaces Sammy as new ODI captain
- Bravo doing fine after car accident
- Edwards, Bravo, Miller star as Windies level series
- Bravo takes blame for Windies TriNation exit