KINGSTON, Jamaica — Christopher Gayle hammered 109 off 100 balls and Sunil Narine grabbed 4-40 to guide West Indies to a six-wicket win against Sri Lanka in Friday’s opening match of the Celkon Mobile Tri-Nation series at Sabina Park.The Jamaican left-hander entertained the home fans while striking nine fours and seven sixes for his 21st One-Day International century.Scores: Sri Lanka 208 (48.3 overs); West Indies 209-4 (37.5 overs) ?Earlier, West Indies won the toss and asked the visitors to take first strike on a pitch which appeared a bit on the slow side. The opening pair of Upul Tharanga and Jayawardene put on a 62-run stand before the former edged a delivery from West Indies skipper Dwayne Bravo through to Ramdin.The visitors remained positive and comfortably reached 140-3 before steady bowling and disciplined fielding undermined their charge.The visitors collapsed from 140-3 to be dismissed for 208 as pacer Ravi Rampaul (3-38) supported Narine well. ?Sri Lanka captain Angelo Mathews top scored with a solid unbeaten 55 off 77 balls, while veteran batsman Mahela Jayawardene stroked a classy run-a-ball 52 before Narine’s flighted delivery clipped his bat and pad and looped to wicketkeeper Denesh Ramdin.The other team in the tournament, India, will open their account when they face West Indies on Sunday at the same venue.–Sanjay Myers Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/jamaicaobserverFollow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/JamaicaObserver
1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.
2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
5. Please don’t use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:mailto:email@example.com.
6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Super start! — Gayle, Charles lead Windies past England
- Gayle fêted 'Gangnam Style'
- Crushing win - Roach, Gayle fire Windies to big victory over Kiwis
- Gayle steers WI to easy win
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.