SportTuesday, January 22, 2013
MELBOURNE, Australia (CMC) — West Indies middle order batsman Marlon Samuels has escaped punishment for his role in an ugly clash with Shane Warne, captain of the Melbourne Stars, during a match of the Australian Big Bash League.Samuels, who plays for Melbourne Renegades, was found guilty by Cricket Australia of conduct unbecoming.However, he has been let off with a reprimand by Commissioner John Price, who acknowledged his conduct had resulted from “extreme provocation”.Warne was given a $4,500 fine and a match suspension from the heated clash between the Stars and Renegades January 6.Samuels’ charge of engaging in inappropriate and deliberate physical contact with other players from that match was dismissed.In a separate hearing involving Samuels, Adelaide Strikers coach Darren Berry had his unbecoming conduct charge dismissed after the two exchanged words before the Renegades’ match on January 2.Samuels has been recuperating in a Melbourne hotel after suffering severe facial injuries in the Stars match after he was hit by a bouncer while batting later in the match.He will only fly home to Jamaica when doctors say he can travel safely.
1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.
2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
5. Please don’t use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.
- Cruelty to a child accused escapes Christmas in jail
- Teenager held 2 years escapes captors
- Convicted killer escapes from Mississippi State Penitentiary
- Man on robbery charge escapes from Claremont lock up