SportSaturday, February 02, 2013
LIVERPOOL, England, (CMC) — Jamaican-born footballer, Raheem Sterling, who plays for England, is expected to make a court appearance later this month after he was charged with assaulting a woman.The 18-year-old was summonsed to Liverpool Youth Court yesterday on a charge of common assault for an incident which is alleged to have happened when he was 17.Police have said that the 27-year-old woman suffered “slight” facial injuries during an alleged incident in Liverpool, on November 2.But Sterling, the Liverpool and England winger, who did not attend the hearing, has denied the allegation.“I do have instructions to the effect that Mr Sterling will be pleading not guilty to this charge,” said Mick Hogan, a lawyer who appeared in court on Sterling’s behalf.“He is aware of today’s hearing and the club is very supportive.”The move to an adult court was supported by the prosecution and the case was adjourned to Liverpool Magistrates’ Court on February 22.Late last year, Sterling was the target of a recruitment campaign by the Jamaica Football Federation seeking to keep alive the Reggae Boyz chances of qualifying for the 2014 world Cup in Brazil.Sterling made his senior international debut for England last November against Sweden.STERLING (right)… has denied the allegation
1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.
2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
5. Please don’t use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:mailto:email@example.com.
6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Military trainer in Texas acquitted of sex assault
- Police sergeant charged for indecent assault
- Protest over Okinawa 'assault'
- SEXUAL PURITY MARCH ATTACKED -Verbal assault on this weekend's planned event
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.