KINGSTON, Jamaica – Following the deaths of approximately 235 people in a recent nightclub fire in Brazil, local interest in the integrity of emergency systems at local clubs has increased, and Opposition Senator Robert Montague wants the government to answer questions on these issues, urgently.Senator Montague tabled questions in the Senate Friday seeking, among other things, to know whether there is a register of all the nightclubs and places of amusement, inspection of these clubs and whether an evacuation plan, in case of fire, is included in the emergency requirements.Senator Montague questions, addressed to the Leader of Government Business in the Senate, Senator A.J.Nicholson read:Will the Minister state whether a register of all clubs and places of amusement is currently maintained by the Government and, if so, when was it last updated?Will the Minister state if inspections of clubs and places of amusement have yet commenced for the renewal of licences this financial year?If the answer to Part 2 is in the affirmative, will the Minister confirm whether or not inspections are being conducted by the: local authorities (parish councils); fire departments; Ministry of Labour and Social Security; Public Health Department?If the answer to Part 2 is in the negative, will the Minister state when inspections will commence and whether or not a timetable has been established for same?Will the Minster state whether or not an evacuation plan is in place, should a major fire occur in an unlicensed club or place of amusement?If the answer to Part 2 is in the affirmative, will he Minister state which State entity has custody and responsibility for the execution of the plan?Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/jamaicaobserverFollow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/JamaicaObserver
1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.
2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
5. Please don’t use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.
- $2.5 billion in checks distributed to Madoff victims by court-appointed trustee
- Bobbi's BF checks into rehab?
- How the Paralympics checks intellectual disability
- Bobby Brown checks out of rehab
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.