Latest NewsWednesday, January 30, 2013 | 7:07 AM
KINGSTON, Jamaica —The Transport Authority is warning operators of public passenger vehicle (PPV) to immediately discontinue the practice of overcharging commuters.This warning comes as the Authority says it has received numerous complaints from the public that minibus and route taxis are insisting commuters pay more than the approved fares, particularly in the Kingston Metropolitan Transport Region (KMTR).“Route inspectors will be closely monitoring this trend during road operations and those operators found to be deceiving passengers as to the fare for a journey will be prosecuted,” the Authority said in a release Tuesday afternoon.It added that the current fare per stage in the Kingston Metropolitan Transport Region (KMTR) is $80.Commuters are being urged to report incidents of overcharging through the Authority’s toll-free line at 1-888-991-5687 by providing the licences plate numbers and the routes for the vehicles.Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/jamaicaobserverFollow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/JamaicaObserver
1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.
2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
5. Please don’t use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:mailto:email@example.com.
6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New York 9/11 judge approves $6B against Iran, Taliban, Al Qaeda
- Boyz bow into action against Mexico’s daunting altitude
- England 55/1 against South Africa
- Village book final date against Holland